Thursday, April 30, 2009

My Thoughts on Prayer - Revisited

I wasn't kidding when I told you that prayer was very mysterious to me, so you shouldn't be surprised that I am blogging about it again, but with some new insight!!! (I had to seek out the insight since no one commented on my 1st prayer blog)!

Check out these 2 verses:

John 14:13-14: “Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.”

John 15:7-8, 16: “If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples . . . . You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.”

So, where do you think I might be going with this?! It's pretty awesome really and it totally helps prayer make sense in my finite mind and seem so incredibly important to me, and here it is:
THE AIM OF ALL PRAYER IS THAT GOD MIGHT BE GLORIFIED!
How awesome is that? And so totally clear when you look at those verses, huh? God is glorified when our prayers are answered. Prayer exists to show that God is supremely glorious! "Hallowed be Thy Name!" -- look at the Lord's prayer -- what comes first? HIS GLORY -- hallwoed by thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done -- then, and only, then comes the next part: asking for daily bread. THE GOAL IS HIS GLORY!!

This makes me want to pray all day long -- it's sad, I know, that I have been a Christian for over 20 years and I am just now realizing that prayer is not about us, it's not about "feeling it," it's really not even about praying for things or healing or protection - it is ultimately about His Glory! My prayers can be for healing or protection or whatever if He be glorified in that healing or that protection or whatever it is.
I totally apologize if this makes no sense to you, but it is a HUGE breakthrough for me and I am excited about it.
Do I have prayer figured out now? No
Did God reveal some incredible insight into prayer to ignite my heart to have a passion to pray? ABSOLUTELY!!!

4 comments:

Denise said...

Thank you for this!

Ryan and Deminy... said...

I just wanted to point out that I did comment on your last post on prayer. I really loved the insight.

Anonymous said...

This was wonderful Carol! It blessed my heart and gave me a new outlook on prayer as well! Thanks for that!

sowlee said...

this is good. you've been a christian for 20 years? wow. weird. when did we get old enough to have done anything for 20 years?