Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Thankful Heart, a couple of weeks early (you know, cuz thanksgiving is coming up)

Okay, so my main "gripe" in life lately has been finances. Read earlier posts to determine the reason for that. Sadly, it consumes most decisions that I have to make. I am fairly certain that no one would envy the financial situation we are currently in. (well, okay, there are probably plenty of people in worse financial shape that I am, but I'm trying to make a point here, so roll with it) You might even say that people could look at my life and expect me to be bitter or even a bit depressed that we are not more financially stable. Thankfully, I know who God is and I have never felt that way about my situation. Have I been a bit angry about it at times? Sure. Do I wish it were different. Sure. But, today, God gave me a reminder of my past that made me incredibly thankful for any financial strain I might be experiencing right now! (everything written up to this point has simply been an introduction to what I'm about to say, so in case you were skimming before, now is the time to pay attention) We were singing in church this morning and I don't remember the exact words we were singing, but it had something to do with praising God for being the one who pulls you up out of the pit, that He will be your Help and your Rescue and that a better day is coming. (I don't think any of those exact words were used, but it's the same idea) I was reminded of a time where I was singing such words with tears running down my face. I immediately felt again what it meant to really be crying out to God to pull me out of the darkness I was living in and praising Him for the hope He was giving that He would rescue me. The place Lance and I were in before coming to C3 had become darkness for us. We were definitely in a pit and I vividly remember attempting to sing praise songs to God, but would, very often, be unable because I could not control how hard I was crying. It was an incredibly hard time in my life and I am so thankful that God chose to remind me of it today so that I can be thankful for the fact that my biggest "gripe" right now is simply finances. It is sooooooo much more difficult to deal with spiritual and emotional darkness surrounding you than it is to deal with money matters. I cannot even begin to describe the whole situation, but I genuinely feared to raise a family among it. My heart wept for the kids in our youth group who knew church and the things of God to be nothing other than what was going on around them. I knew that God had called us there, but I knew I could not be there much longer. I have never begged God for anything more than to call us somewhere else. Now, I can't deny that God did some amazing things while we were there and He will even be able to use the experience later in our lives , just like He did today, making me thankful for where He has me now, causing me to praise Him for His steadfast love and grip on my life.

2 comments:

Ryan and Deminy... said...

I'm pretty sure that God does have a wonderful sense of humor. I'm also sure that us having another baby(ies) within two year of twins might be funny to some. But thankfully, OUR God would never find such a thing funny. Love, your cousin with her fingers crossed!

Andra said...

"Be still and know that I am God..." Ps. 46:10

One of my favorites, especially when I am anxious.

Hang in there! Love y'all!