Thursday, September 25, 2008

Do I Always Have to Put a Title?

Okay, 2 interesting passages of Scripture that I read today:
The 1st is actually rather encouraging - Deuteronomy 4:28-30, "There you will worship man-made gods of wood and stone, which cannot see or hear or eat or smell. But, if from there, you seek the Lord your God, you will find Him if you look for Him with all your heart and with all your soul. When you are in distress and all these things have happened to you, then in later days you will return to the Lord your God and obey Him."
Totally encouraging, right? Do I worship acutal gods of wood and stone - no, not necessarily. But, do I place things of this world before Him? - all the stinkin' time! I choose things over Him every single day. When He is not my number one priority, then that makes the things that are taking priority in my life over him, gods. But, this Scripture tells me that, if from here, I seek the Lord, I will find Him when I seek with all my heart and all my soul. That basically says to me that God knew ahead of time that I would make stupid decisions, like worshiping man-made idols, but then He told me how to remedy it! Thank You, Lord! Now, what exactly does it mean to seek Him with my whole heart and soul? How do I do that? That is my prayer for today -- that the Lord would teach me exactly how He would have me seek Him with everything that I am. Are there things that I need to remove from life in order to seek Him? What choices do I need to be making differently in order to give Him my all? I truly desire to know Him more and I want to seek Him with my whole heart and soul, so I pray today that He would guide me in that.
Okay, so I said that there were 2 passages of Scripture that I found today -- the 2nd one is not quite as encouraging, but definitely thought-provoking:
Hosea 5:6, "When they (speaking about the Israelites here) go with their flocks and herds to seek the Lord, they will not find Him; He has withdrawn Himself from them." The verse before it talks about them stumbling in their sin. I stumble everyday! Can you imagine the Lord withdrawing Himself from you? So, I sort of struggled with this verse today, questioning what causes the Lord to not be found. I know that I am not worthy of finding Him when I seek Him, but I read many other Scriptures today that promised I would find the Lord when I sought Him out. So, what is so different about the Israelites here? I don't understand it fully and it is not something that the Lord has chosen to reveal to me as of yet. I, basically, am leaning on the comfort of the Holy Spirit on this one for today. After praying about it, I trust Him and I trust that His Word is Truth! I trust that He wants intimacy with Him and so that is what I am going to seek! I thank the Holy Spirit for directing me today in coming to that conclusion!

No comments: