Monday, March 8, 2010

FREEDOM!!!

As I was writing that title, I was picturing Mel Gibson with his face painted blue running into battle - but that's not necessarily the direction I was hoping to go with this post.
So, we were in church yesterday singing. I could attempt to guess at the name of the song that we were singing, but I would most likely be wrong and that's got to be some sort of cardinal sin as the worship pastors wife, so I'll just leave it at -"we were singing." Has it ever happened to you where you're listening to scripture read that you've heard a million times or singing a song that you've sung/heard tons of times and something new just jumps out at you? It's the coolest thing - I love it when that happens. I know that it is the Holy Spirit at work, which is one of the reason's it's so cool when it happens. So, that happened to me yesterday while singing aforementioned song. The line was: Jesus, come make us a free generation spreading salvation, freedom is ours, we take it up... Here's what hit me: we're asking Jesus to come make us a free generation, and then the very next line is 'spreading salvation.' This is totally elementary, I realize, but that's why we're free -- in order to spread the good news. We're not free so we can just praise God that we're not going to hell. We're not free so that we won't be bound to sin anymore. We're not free so we can live at peace. We're free to speak up for him, live for him, love for him!!
So then when I got home, I looked up the definiton of freedom: the condition of being free, the power to act or speak or think without externally imposed restraints! PRAISE GOD! That's why I plead with Jesus to make us a free generation. That's why freedom is ours and I proclaim that I'm gonna take it up!!! It's all about Him!!!

1 comment:

sowlee said...

You and Mel (Gibson, that is). Two peas in a pod.